Wednesday, June 23, 2010

The Evolution of fitness

I was goofing off at work today looking at the lastest and greatest Men's Health online magazine looking for new workouts to add to my arsenal. I came acorss an older article about Jason Statham and how he prepares for his movie roles. The guy is intense and while I may not necessarily be his greatest fan I love how the guy operates. He's 38 yrs old and continuously pushes himself to the max with each and every workout.

He does a lot of body weight exercises with copious amounts of intensity, MMA style training and believes in killing his Abs nearly everyday (500 reps of variations)and whatever else he can pack in his 35 minutes routines. The reason I am using him as an example is the fact that this is someone who understand that fitness needs to evolve like we do. He, like I, is a firm believer in functional fitness. I don't understand it when I see guys (mostly known as meatheads) pushing weight to push weight. Why woudl you do that? To get big muscles but what are they good for if you can't move?

I have been living Primally since Febuary and feel fantastic. Of course I don't look like Jaosn Statham but I am on my way. He is not my inspiration nor is Brad Pitt. I have dropped that nonsensical approach and instead have focused on getting into the best possible functional shape or in my own words fighting shape. The ulitmate goal for me isn't to bench 400 lbs. My goal is to cut down my body fat to a reasonable level and to become ultra healthy. I could care less about bulging biceps or unreal lats. If those are byproducts of my efforts then I would love it but again not my main goal.

After reading the articles on his fitness routine it made me start to think about how I workout. I workout roughly 5-6 days per week with mostly bodyweight. I use my Bowflex for heavier resistance training but not very often. I somewhat kickbox three times a week for an intense 15 minutes (3 5 minute rounds). I say kickbox but I really have a heavy bag I kick and beat on. I work on technique, combos, speed but always do so with 100% effort. He said in his article, "If you're going to train then hit it hard. Why go to the gym to lollygag? You're there to work not goof off. I completely agree.

Now even though he isn't my inspiration per se I have a new level of respect for him. I am going to really focus on giving 100% in everything I do. Working out (sometimes motivation is lacking for the first few minutes but I get the engines revving pretty quickly), work, and play time. I only wish I had the juice for work that I have for working out. Playtime is what I consider family time with the wife and son, tennis, basketball or whatever.

I am putting myself on a 6 week plan for success. Failing to prepare is preparing to fail. In this 6 week workout I will focus on using a variety of exercises, equipment (sledgehammer, kettleballs, climbing rope, etc) and do my absolute best to never do the same routine twice. Now I will do some exercises repeatedly of course but I will use as much variation as possible. I will hit every single muscle group whether it be large or small with a huge emphasis on abs. If anyone ever reads this blog you'll understand I always bitch about ym back- while its gotten far better since I changed my nutrition I feel a need to bitch. It make sme feel better so screw off.

I will have pics to show each week my progress not that anyone reads the damn blog but it'll again make me feel better and if someone actually were to look at this blog it may inspire them.

No comments:

Post a Comment